Friday, November 12, 2004

The new me

Those of you that know me are aware of the fact that about a year ago, I decided to lose some weight. I was at about 232, slow and generally not very happy with myself. So I decided to go commando on myself and did a SlimFast/Subway diet combined with regular exercise (mostly running). From July 2003 to November 2003, I dropped about 20 pounds. I was on a roll, so I decided to do my first triathlon (http://www.uvsctri.com).

Over the next year, I used triathlon training as a reason to stick with the exercise schedule. I stopped calling it "working out" and started calling it "training." My first year of triathlons was pretty much in the lower middle of people racing in my age group (35-39). Being the big guy that I was, I was basically happy with that and quickly becoming one of the faster guys in my area over 200 pounds ("Clydesdales" in racing parlance).

I have come to love the sport of triathlon and the motivated, interesting people I have met. It is exciting to feel the adrenaline that comes with competition and to be around people who are constantly trying to improves themselves. I am excited about the year to come. Hopefully I will have some good stories to share.

Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home